Née Martin. In 1922 she became the first woman chartered surveyor and for 51 years until her retirement in 1973 she ran her own business. She was one of the people who shaped the organisation of housing associations in Britain and worked for better living facilities in Somers Town where she had her practice. In 1925 she became secretary of the St Pancras Housing Association and in the 1930s her struggle with landlords and loan sharks led to the association's own loan club and retail furniture shop.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Irene Barclay
Commemorated ati
Somers Town Mural
This mural was commissioned by the GLC in 1980 and moved to this site by St P...
Other Subjects
Mary Anne Clarke's house
We think Clarke lived in 1803 in the house that can be seen to the left (west) of this church. See the plaque page for why we think this. And that the Duke of York frequently visited her here.
London Docklands Development Corporation
We did not initially recognise this logo, on at least 8 plaques in the Surrey Docks area, and maybe others elsewhere. We tried Google's image search and the results made us laugh; being an array of...
Essex House - E3
In 1891 C. R. Ashbee moved the workshops of the Guild of Handicraft from 34 Commercial Street to Essex House, at 401 Mile End Road, an early eighteenth-century mansion. The guild prospered at Essex...
Arthur Felix Davis
Property developer and youngest son of Abraham Davis. In 1945 he joined the Holly Lodge Estate Committee as LWH representative and, despite not being a plot holder, he also became a Trustee. He lef...
Pelham / Hobson's Place
Our map of 1837 shows a street called Pelham Street. Possibly this became Pelham Place and then Hobson's Place before being built over by the Greater London Council in 1966.
Previously viewed
Hy. A. Bartlett
Resident of the Central Ward, Hendon who served and died in WW1.
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them