Established in medieval times as a place to hold prisoners of the King's Bench court, primarily debtors. It was originally sited in Angel Place, off Borough High Street, just north of what is now John Harvard Library. In 1754-8 this was demolished and replaced with a new building erected to the south-west on what was then St George's Fields and is now Scovell housing estate. In 1842 it became the Queen's Prison and took debtors from the Marshalsea and Fleet Prisons. It became the Southwark Convict Prison and then closed.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
King's Bench Prison
Commemorated ati
King of Corsica
The weather-worn stone above this plaque is, we guess, the original graveston...
Other Subjects
Viscount Cecil of Chelwood
Politician and peace maker. Born Robert Cecil at 11 Duchess Street, Portland Place. Son of the Prime Minister, the Marquess of Salisbury. He practised civil law for several years before entering pa...
Dame Elizabeth Lane DBE
Barrister and judge. From First 100 years: "She was the first woman appointed as a judge in the County Court, and the first female High Court judge in England. She is most extraordinary since she h...
Borough Compter
Courthouse and prison. The building was part of St Margaret's Church, which was closed during the reformation. It burned down in 1676 and was rebuilt in 1685. The functions moved to a new building ...
Richard White
Mill Hill Acton provides: "Richard White was a celebrated lawyer. His practice, White and Blake (joined at various times by third partners Ainge, Houseman and Tylee), was at 14 Essex Street, off th...
transportation to Australia
One of the (many) supposed origins of the word 'pom' for an Englishman, is that convicts were branded with the initials of 'Prisoner of Millbank'.
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them