Group    From 1886  To 1989

Leysian Mission

Categories: Religion, Social Welfare

From Wesley's Chapel and from Kay:

The Leys School was opened in Cambridge in 1875; just two years after non-Anglicans were admitted to the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. It was intended to be "the Methodist Eton". The Leysian Mission was founded by the Old Boys of The Leys School at a General Meeting in the Mission House, Bishopsgate Street, on October 7th 1885. They were concerned about the social and housing conditions in the East End of London.

The Wesleyan London Mission gave them premises at 199 Whitecross Street, rent free, which were used from April 1886, for a Sunday School, a Boys' Brigade, a Girls' Parlour, etc. New, larger, premises were built in Errol Street and opened on Sunday 23 April 1890 with 200 Sunday School children in the Hall. Here the same activities continued and were expanded with a brass band.

By 1902 the Sunday School had nearly 700 children registered, with an average attendance of 480. Again larger premises were required and the Mission moved into grand purpose-built premises in Old Street. Here was a large hall seating 2,000, a small hall, club rooms for men and women, boys and girls, a gymnasium, classrooms and vestries with natural light and ventilation. The Queen Victoria Hall was opened by the, soon to be, King George V and Queen Mary on July 11th 1904.

The post-WW2 Welfare State changed the Mission's purpose so the buildings were sold and it merged with Wesley's Chapel in 1989. Throughout links with the Leys School have been maintained. A Wesley scholarship offers a number of children from the city the opportunity to attend as boarders at the Leys School in Cambridge. There are an annual Cricket Match, regular visits (in both directions) and special events.

"Leys" comes from the name of the Cambridge estate in Trumpington Road bought by Robert Sayle (department store creator and philanthropist) in 1865 to build the school.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Leysian Mission

Commemorated ati

Leysian - 1

This stone was laid by Rev. W. F. Moulton DD, October 29th 1889. W. H. Boney ...

Read More

Leysian - 2

This stone was laid by Mrs E. S. Whelpton, October 29th 1889.

Read More

Leysian - 3

The stone is somewhat damaged which means the G of Holman's name is uncertain.

Read More

Leysian - 4

This stone was laid by Thomas Walker Esq. JP, October 29th 1889.

Read More

Leysian Mission - Marshall

Mission founded 1887 Buildings erected 1903 This column was fixed by Sir Hor...

Read More

Show all 8

Other Subjects

St John the Baptist upon Walbrook

St John the Baptist upon Walbrook

First recorded in the 12th century. Destroyed in the Great Fire and never rebuilt. This 1799 map shows the whole site marked as "churchyard". The congregation merged with St Antholin Budge Row. The...

Building, Religion

2 memorials
Dr. Jabez Bunting

Dr. Jabez Bunting

Leading Wesleyan Methodist. Born Manchester. Arrived in London in 1803. Regarded as the second founder of Methodism after John Wesley.

Person, Religion

1 memorial
Emanuel Swedenborg

Emanuel Swedenborg

Swedish theologian and polymath.  He travelled frequently in Europe and came to London a few times.  Lodged in Wellclose Square and attended the nearby Swedish Church.  On his last visit, in 1771, ...

Person, Religion, Sweden

1 memorial
Ebenezer Church

Ebenezer Church

From Exploring Southwark: "The Norwegian Mission Society opened a mission in Rotherhithe in 1868, originally in a temporary church until a permanent building, called the Ebenezer Church, was opened...

Building, Property, Religion

1 memorial
Stratford Langthorne Abbey

Stratford Langthorne Abbey

A Cistercian monastery. Also called St Mary's or West Ham Abbey, one of the largest Cistercian abbeys in England, it existed until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Although the ruins were pillag...

Building, Religion

1 memorial

Previously viewed

English Heritage

English Heritage

English Heritage (officially the English Heritage Trust) is a charity that manages over 400 historic monuments, buildings and places. These include prehistoric sites, medieval castles, Roman forts,...

Group, Architecture, History, Property

415 memorials
PC Alfred Smith

PC Alfred Smith

From Islington Tribune: "PC Smith heard the German Gotha G.V aircraft approaching and warned panicking factory workers in Central Street, Finsbury, to stay inside. He died when a bomb exploded a fe...

Person, Emergency Services, Tragedy

War dead non-military, WW1
2 memorials