Building    From 1888  To 1997

Royal Northern Hospital

Categories: Medicine

Founded in 1856 by Dr. Sherard Freeman Statham (dismissed from University College Hospital for smacking a patient's bottom) at 11 York Road (later York Way), and expanded into numbers 9 and 10.  1862 it had to move and took on a number of different premises.  Finally in 1884 the Grove House estate of over an acre on Holloway Road was acquired and the Great Northern Central Hospital opened there in 1888.  “Central” was dropped from the name in 1911. The hospital extended on its own site and expanded onto neighbouring properties and other sites. It occupied much of the area bounded by: Holloway Road, Tollington Way, Axminster Road and Manor Gardens. Joined the NHS in 1948 and closed in 1992. 

2014: The Northern Health Centre occupies the original 1888 Holloway Road block but apart from that and the memorial arch it was all demolished in 1997 and developed for residential and the provision of the memorial garden.

This information above all comes from the splendid Lost Hospitals of London, including the bit about the smacked bottom.

The picture shows the out-patients waiting room in 1888.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal Northern Hospital

Commemorated ati

RNH - Casualty Department

See the mosaic for more information about the Casualty Department.

Read More

RNH - mosaic

The new RNH Casualty Department, funded by the Islington War Memorial Fund, w...

Read More

RNH - NJ

This small plaque is rather hidden behind plants. We don't understand the mo...

Read More

RNH - Philip Hill

This stone was laid by Philip E. Hill Esq, chairman of Beechams Pills Ltd on ...

Read More

RNH - Princess Louise

RNH Opened by HRH Princess Louise Duchess of Argyle GBE on the 30th October ...

Read More

Show all 9

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Royal Northern Hospital

Creations i

Islington war memorial arch - foundation stone at the right

In 1923 the Prince of Wales was Edward, who later became, briefly, King Edwar...

Read More

Other Subjects

Lady Alice Maud Bootle-Wilbraham, OBE

Lady Alice Maud Bootle-Wilbraham, OBE

Lady District Superintendent in the St John Ambulance Brigade, No. 1 District Metropolitan Corps, 1899-1922. Honorary Serving Sister in the Order of St John. On its Facebook page this photo is cap...

Person, Emergency Services, Medicine, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Michael Joannes Baptista, Baron de Wenzel
1 memorial
289 Cambridge Heath Road

289 Cambridge Heath Road

The house was probably built 1800 - 1850 and was occupied from at least 1866 until his death in 1882, by Dr Brotherton. He lived there and also ran his medical practice from that address. It was de...

Building, Medicine, Property

1 memorial
The Lancet

The Lancet

Founded by Thomas Wakley.

Media, Journalism / Publishing, Medicine

1 memorial
Dr. William Hunter

Dr. William Hunter

William Hunter was born on 23 May 1718 at Long Calderwood, East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, Scotland, the seventh child of John Hunter (1673-1741) and Agnes Hunter née Paul (1691-1751). William H...

Person, Medicine, Scotland

2 memorials

Previously viewed

Tyrannosaurus Rex / T.Rex

Tyrannosaurus Rex / T.Rex

Formed by Marc Bolan and Steve Took as Tyrannosaurus Rex, the name was shortened to T.Rex round about the time success came with 'Ride a White Swan' in 1970/1.  The band ended when Bolan was killed...

Group, Music / songs

5 memorials
50 years of Lionism in the British Isles

50 years of Lionism in the British Isles

Lions Clubs International were begun on 7 June 1917 in America by a Chicago businessman.  The first Lions Club in the UK was formed in London in 1950. From LionsMD105: "We are one of the largest se...

Event, Benefactor, Community / Clubs

1 memorial
Bankers Clearing House

Bankers Clearing House

Cheque & Credit Clearing Company (or, in the form of a booklet) is very helpful: "Daily cheque clearings began around 1770 when the bank clerks met at the Five Bells, a tavern in Lombard Street...

Building, Commerce

7 memorials
Lady Anne Agnes Erskine

Lady Anne Agnes Erskine

Born Edinbugh, eldest daughter of the Earl of Buchan. There is a story about her coming across an outdoor gathering at Moorfields at which Rowland Hill (see Surrey Chapel) was preaching and him pic...

Person, Religion, Scotland

1 memorial
sinking of the Titanic

sinking of the Titanic

On board were over 2,200 people: 1,316 passengers and about 900 crew.  1,517 lives were lost, including W. T. Stead and Christopher Head, but not J. P. Morgan, nor Charles Lightoller nor Harold Bri...

Event, Tragedy

8 memorials