First recorded in the 12th century. Destroyed in the Great Fire and never rebuilt. This 1799 map shows the whole site marked as "churchyard". The congregation merged with St Antholin Budge Row. The text on the memorial suggests that the churchyard survived until 1884.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
St John the Baptist upon Walbrook
Commemorated ati
St John the Baptist upon Walbrook - monument
An unusual and unsuccessful siting of a three-dimensional monument. One face ...
St John the Baptist Upon Walbrook - plaque
The inscription on the upper plaque requires careful examination to read but ...
Other Subjects
First Dutch church, Austin Friars
The original Austin Friars monestery dates from about 1250. In 1550 Edward VI granted Protestant refugees from the Netherlands permission to establish a church here, the first Dutch Protestant chur...
William Johnson Fox
Born Suffolk. 1806 he enrolled in the Independent academy at Homerton, then 'near' London. 1812 converted from Calvinism to Unitarianism. 1817 called to the Unitarian, chapel in Parliament Court,...
Rev. W. G. Knapper
We thank Kate Dillon, Knapper's daughter, who has sent this photo and information about her father. Rev. William George Knapper began his working life, 1923-40, in the printing and book binding tr...
Francois Rabelais
Writer and physician. Born France, between 1483 and 1494, but probably November 1494. Became a monk and studied Latin and Greek, then left to study medicine. Died Paris.
Person, Literature, Medicine, Politics & Administration, Religion, France
St Olave Hart Street - church
Survived the Great Fire but was so badly damaged in WW2 that for the period 1948 - 54 the congregation used a temporary church in Mark Street. Samuel Pepys and his wife Elizabeth are buried here a...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them