Building   

St John the Baptist upon Walbrook

Categories: Religion

Building

First recorded in the 12th century. Destroyed in the Great Fire and never rebuilt. This 1799 map shows the whole site marked as "churchyard". The congregation merged with St Antholin Budge Row. The text on the memorial suggests that the churchyard survived until 1884.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
St John the Baptist upon Walbrook

Commemorated ati

St John the Baptist upon Walbrook - monument

An unusual and unsuccessful siting of a three-dimensional monument. One face ...

Read More

St John the Baptist Upon Walbrook - plaque

The inscription on the upper plaque requires careful examination to read but ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Hospital of St Anthony

Hospital of St Anthony

Henry III granted this site to the brotherhood of St. Anthony of Vienna to set up a hospital, which over time consisted of almshouses for the poor, a church and a school. After the dissolution of t...

Building, Education, Religion, Social Welfare

1 memorial
Friends’ Meeting House - Hammersmith

Friends’ Meeting House - Hammersmith

Hammersmith Quakers gives: "Members of the Society of Friends (better known as Quakers) have been living and worshipping in Hammersmith since 1658 when Hammersmith and Chiswick were farming village...

Building, Religion

1 memorial
Albert E. Reed

Albert E. Reed

 Paper manufacturer and Weslian preacher.  Born Devon.  Established a newsprint manufacturing company in Kent in 1894.  By 1965 this had grown to be the Reed Group and in 1993 it merged to become R...

Person, Commerce, Religion

1 memorial
James Baldwin Brown

James Baldwin Brown

Born 10, Harcourt Buildings, in the Inner Temple, to a barrister father with the same name. Congregational minister. 1846 elected as pastor at Claylands Chapel. 1870/1 Brown took most of his congre...

Person, Religion

1 memorial
St Benet Gracechurch

St Benet Gracechurch

Name derives from the nearby hay (or grass) market. Lost in the Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1876.

Building, Religion

1 memorial