The Thames flood wall was erected probably in response to the "The Great Thames Flood" of January 1809 which particularly affected: Bisham, Eton, Windsor,Deptford and Lewisham. It has been raised a number of times since.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Thames flood wall
Commemorated ati
High Tide - 1928
The 75 ft of wall which collapsed may actually have been in Millbank which is...
Wall - 1817
This wall was erected and the piles fixed Anno Domini 1817. William Smith - W...
Other Subjects
Euston Arch
The massive Doric arch, designed by Philip Hardwick, was the entrance to the original 1837 Euston Station which was on Drummond Street (which used to run further east than it does now) quite close ...
Mary Anne Clarke's house
We think Clarke lived in 1803 in the house that can be seen to the left (west) of this church. See the plaque page for why we think this. And that the Duke of York frequently visited her here.
Goat in Boots
Pubs History says: "This pub was called the Goat until 1725 when the name was extended to Goat in Boots. Fulham Road was previously New Brompton Road, e.g. in 1851; and earlier called Little Chelse...
Stratford Langthorne Abbey
A Cistercian monastery. Also called St Mary's or West Ham Abbey, one of the largest Cistercian abbeys in England, it existed until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Although the ruins were pillag...
Rose and Crown, Wimbledon
From Wimbledon Heritage Map: "part 17C, late 18C early 19C public house, note multi pane sash windows; recently sympathetically extended".
Previously viewed
Hackney Mortuary
E8, Lower Clapton Road, St John's Churchyard
Taking our photo of the building we were aware of a white van arriving and just hoped that it would not decide to park across the front o...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them