Place    From 1760  To 25/3/1945

Whitfield Tabernacle and cemetery

Categories: Religion

Planetslade have a thorough and well-written history of the Whitefield chapel and its burial grounds. In brief: Funded by his patron the Countess of Huntingdon (see Lady Erskine for more about her) in 1760 George Whitefield built his Tabernacle here, with burial grounds to north and south.

The Anglican church refused to consecrate this ground so after Whitefield’s death in 1770 his successor, Rev. Joss, took an unusual approach. A church, St Christopher-le-Stocks, next to the Bank of England was being demolished to allow an extension to the bank, so Joss arranged for “several cartloads” of earth to be transported from that consecrated churchyard to Tottenham Court Road. Later, when the status of the land became relevant, the Anglicans, not surprisingly, pointed out that that’s not the way it works. Something about this story doesn't ring quite true but we hope it is.  Also it reminds us of the soil-related story about the George Washington statue.

The lease ran out in 1827 which caused the chapel some problems but by about 1860 the chapel bought its own site plus the burial ground to the south. However that to the north was sold to an unscrupulous businessman, Nathan Jacobson. He bought the land expecting to be able to develop it, but removing coffins and bodies was not a straightforward task and he repeatedly failed to do it in a manner the law found acceptable. He died intestate in 1881 and while the ownership of the land was disputed it was leased by a fairground operator who moved noisy machinery onto the site in 1887. The disruption this caused to the services in the Tabernacle led to complaints and legal proceedings that lasted until about 1890, when finally the LCC bought the land and landscaped it into a public garden with playground. The southern burial ground was treated in a similar fashion at about the same time.

The chapel was almost entirely destroyed by fire in February 1857. A new church, designed by John Tarring, was erected by the Congregational Society but in 1889 the foundations were found to be unsafe and a new building was opened in November 1899, named Whitefield’s Tabernacle or Whitefield’s Central Mission. This structure included, below the church, Toplady Hall, named for Reverend Augustus Toplady.

In WW2 the church was used as a hostel, and a deep level bomb shelter was built in the east section of the old northern burial ground. 25 March 1945 a V2 bomb destroyed the church and 5 houses directly south on Tottenham Court Road and the old Chapel Street, but left the, now, Café Nero relatively intact. A new church, the Whitefield Memorial Church, designed by E. C. Butler, was built in 1957 and the American Church moved in in 1972.

The history of the buildings on this site is complicated and we note that various details in the Wikipedia entry differ from those given at Planetslade. Planetslade provides clear original sources for their information so that's the source we have relied on. The London Metropolitan Archive also has some essential information, as does the American Church.

This drawing shows the Tabernacle c.1820. For images of all 4 churches that have been on this site see American Church.

In 2019 it was discovered that Olaudah Equiano was buried here.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Whitfield Tabernacle and cemetery

Commemorated ati

Olaudah Equiano burial

In memory of Olaudah Equiano aka Gustavus Vassa. Near this place which was pa...

Read More

Other Subjects

John Rippon, DD

John Rippon, DD

Baptist minister.  In 1773 succeeded John Gill at two chapels in Southwark.  1833 the Carter Street mission house moved to New Park Street Chapel.  We believe this was in what is now Park Street SE...

Person, Religion

1 memorial
John Rochester

John Rochester

Monk at London Charterhouse. Exiled to the Charterhouse in Hull and then executed in York.

Person, Execution, Religion

1 memorial
Bermondsey Abbey

Bermondsey Abbey

Benedictine Priory of St Saviour at Bermondsey occupied ground between present day Bermondsey Street, Abbey Street and Grange Walk.  Built on the site of a previous monastery from before 715, it wa...

Place, Religion

2 memorials

Previously viewed

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial - Edward Bamford VC

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial - Edward Bamford VC

N8, Park Road, 151, Hornsey Central Health Centre

There are 10 memorials in this area around the the war memorial building in our photo. The two pier heads are to the right of the buildin...

War served | WW1
1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Hugh Cecil Lowther, fifth Earl of Lonsdale

Hugh Cecil Lowther, fifth Earl of Lonsdale

Sportsman and profligate bon vivant, a life-style enabled through his vast inherited wealth. President of the National Sporting Club. Initiated the boxing prize, the Lonsdale Belt. Founder and firs...

Person, Politics & Administration, Sport / Games

1 memorial
Rosehaugh Stanhope self-build housing initiative for the unemployed

Rosehaugh Stanhope self-build housing initiative for the unemployed

Rosehaugh Stanhope Developments was responsible for a number of high-profile developments in the City, such as Broadgate. The Independent's 1992 report on the failure of the Rosehaugh company descr...

Concept, Property, Social Welfare

1 memorial
Disabled servicemen of Chiswick and families and dependents of those who died in WW1

Disabled servicemen of Chiswick and families and dependents of those who died in WW1

Chiswick disabled men of His Majesty's forces and their families and for the dependants of those who fell in the war.

Group

1 memorial