Designer, author and visionary socialist. Born Elm House, Walthamstow, Essex. The family moved to Woodford Hall in 1840 and to Water House in 1848. He moved in with his friend Edward Burne-Jones first at 1 Upper Gordon Street and then at 17 Red Lion Square. Here he and Burne-Jones joined DG Rossetti in the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. With Burne-Jones and others formed the decorating firm Morris & Co. His wife, Jane, became a semi-invalid but still managed two major affairs, one with Rossetti, who lived with the Morrises for a time in a ménage à trois at William's much-loved home at Kelmscott Manor near Lechdale. Her other affair was with Blunt. Co-founder of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. Died at Kelmscott House, Hammersmith. Buried at Kelmscott church, Lechdale.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
William Morris (designer)
Commemorated ati
Rossetti, Morris and Burne-Jones
What a delight - a quality plaque that isn't round and blue.
The Red House
Red House, built in 1859 - 60 by Philip Webb, architect, for William Morris, ...
Walthamstow Strawberry tree
There is an identical plaque on the side wall of the care home.
William Morris and Edward Lloyd
William Morris, 1834 - 1896, lived here, 1848 - 1856. Edward Lloyd, publisher...
This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
William Morris (designer)
Creations i
Alfred Linnell
Since we don't normally collect gravestone we are no experts on them but this...
Hammersmith Socialists
The inscription is a quote from William Morris's 1890 "News from Nowhere", in...
Other Subjects
Thomas Hearne
Thomas Hearne was born on 22 September 1744 in Marshfield, Gloucestershire, the son of William and Prudence Hearne. He was baptised on 26 September 1744 in St Mary the Virgin Church, Marshfield. H...
Desmond Rochfort
Mural artist active in late 1970s - 1983. Worked with Binnington on two murals at Royal Oak.
Society of Industrial Artists and Designers
First conceived during 1929 as the Society of Industrial Artists with an inaugural meeting at Ye Olde Cock Tavern, Fleet Street, 1930. 1960 - changed name to the Society of Industrial Artists and ...
Previously viewed
Geoffrey Fuller Webb
Known professionally as Geoffrey Webb he was a stained-glass artist and designer of church furnishings, based for most of his career in East Grinstead. Nephew of the architect Sir Aston Webb and a ...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them