Founded in 1844 by George Williams, the YMCA built their first gym in 1881 and opened their first purpose built centre in 1911.
The original object was "to promote the spiritual and mental improvement of young men engaged in the drapery trade."
Founded in 1844 by George Williams, the YMCA built their first gym in 1881 and opened their first purpose built centre in 1911.
The original object was "to promote the spiritual and mental improvement of young men engaged in the drapery trade."
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Young Men's Christian Association / YMCA
Psalm 119 Verse 9, in the King James Bible reads: "Wherewithal shall a young ...
In the photograph of the current building the plaque is behind the portico.
This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Young Men's Christian Association / YMCA
2023: Esther Jung asked us about a date discrepancy on this inscription: both...
Author and conservationist. Born at 77 Fellows Road, Hampstead. One of the founders of the Inland Waterways Association, where he met and collaborated rather too closely with the author Elizabeth J...
From the picture source: "The Japan Society is the leading independent body in the United Kingdom dedicated to the enhancement of the British-Japanese relationship. With a history stretching back ...
This photos show Rev. Knapper (in the white surplice, front left) at the opening ceremony for the hall. His daughters, now Kate Dillon (with the cushion) and Rosemary Watkins, are contributing to t...
There are lots of housing associations in Highbury, but we can't find any specific information about a group with this name. The building on which the plaque is erected is occupied by a sheltered h...
This 1893 map (extract here) shows the Station Hotel (P.H.) opposite the station but with no building behind. By 1933 this map show the PH building extending all the way back to Parkshot. The Crawd...
The origins of the East End textile industry can be traced to the 14th century when Flemish artisans set up dye works on the River Lea. In the late 17th century the Huguenots arrived in Spitalfield...
On her visit she was presented with the city sword by the Lord Mayor. We have found a rare photograph of an amused Queen Vicky to illustrate this event. It may not actually have been taken on this ...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them