Founded by Jonathan Miles in Exchange Alley around 1680. In 1698 John Castaing posted a list of prices for stocks and commodities. And so traders who were expelled from the Royal Exchange used Jonathan's as a meeting place. It burnt down and was rebuilt in 1748. In 1773 the traders built the bigger 'New Jonathan's" in Sweeting's Alley (about where Royal Exchange Buildings meets Threadneedle Street now) but it soon became known as the Stock Exchange and evolved into the LSE that we have today. The original Jonathan's succumbed to the flames for a second and final time in 1778.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Jonathan’s Coffee House
Commemorated ati
Jonathan’s Coffee House
On this site between 1680 and 1778 stood Jonathan’s Coffee House, the princip...
Other Subjects
George Down
Private George Arthur Down was born on 8 June 1884 in Putney. He was the eldest of the six children of William Down (1859-1943) and Emily Elizabeth Down née Hunter (1859-1947). His father was a boo...
1 memorial
Alexander McLeod
One of the founders (1868) of Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society (RACS). First full-time secretary from 1882 until his death. He was the son of Skye crofters and served an apprenticeship of five y...
2 memorials
1 memorial
Frank Bearman
Retailer. Founder of the former Bearman's department store in Leytonstone.
1 memorial
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them