Founder based in Thames Ditton. From Exploring Surrey's Past: The foundry was established in Summer Road, Thames Ditton, in 1874 by Cox and Sons, ecclesiastical suppliers, to cast ornaments and statues in bronze, and the hand operated gantry crane, which moved the entire foundry floor to facilitate all major lifting work, was an integral part of the building constructed for this work. The business, which produced a large number of major castings, became Drew and Co in 1880, then Moore and Co in 1883, and was taken over by A J Hollinshead and A B Burton in 1897, and after the former's death in 1902 acquired the title of A B Burton, which it retained until his death in 1933. Burton's son in law, L R Tricker, closed the business and sold the foundry in 1939, when it seemed likely that it would be taken over for munitions manufacture. Thereafter it was used by London Metal Warehouses for making industrial castings, and then by Metal Centres Ltd, as a metal warehouse, until 1971/2 when it was sold to the District Council. The foundry was demolished in 1976 and the crane removed for preservation by the Surrey Archaeological Society.
This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
A. B. Burton Foundry
Creations i
Emmeline Pankhurst monument
Walker sculpted the statue, Baker designed the plinth. Unveiled by Baldwin. ...
George, Duke of Cambridge
We love that "etc." for his string of honours. Reddit have a magnificent phot...
Imperial Camel Corps
The sculptor was also a member of the corps. Unveiled by Chetwode. For anothe...
Kitchener statue
{On the front of the plinth:} Kitchener, 1850 - 1916 {On the front of the lo...
Physical Energy
{On a plaque laid into the ground in front of the statue:} George Frederic Wa...
Other Subjects
Durham Brothers, Atlas Foundry
Writing about Bow Road Edith's Streets has: "203 & 205 Atlas Iron Foundry Durham Bros, iron founders. Numerous plates on iron buildings throughout London demonstrate their work".
Harry Beck
Graphic artist and map designer. Born 14 Wesley Road, Leyton but he was only there for about 3 years. He was brought up and educated in Highgate Village. Joined London Underground in 1925 on a t...
Edgar Wilson
Maker of model houses. Born c.1870. At the time he made the villages he was about 75 years old and living at 70 Hamilton Road, Norwood. The Friends of Vauxhall Park are very informative: "The Mode...
Eric Gill
Sculptor. Born Brighton. One of thirteen children of a clergyman, he remained religious all his life. Passionate believer in the "carving direct" method. His sculptures would sometimes depict contr...
Previously viewed
Kensington Society
"The objects of The Kensington Society are to preserve and improve the amenities of Kensington for the public benefit by stimulating interest in its history and records, promoting good architecture...
Sir William Walton
Composer, born William Turner Walton at 93 Werneth Hall Road, Oldham, Lancashire. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford, he befriended Sacheverell Sitwell and became a protegé of him and his siblings E...
Captain Augustus Frederick Kynaston
Died as a result of serving in the Russian War 1854-6. RNCB. PDavis provides most of our information about Kynaston: In 1857 he was granted a patent for an 'improved slip or disengaging hook'. Com...
Greenwich Hospital
From Greenwich Hospital: "The Royal Charter of William and Mary dated 25 October 1694 established the Royal Hospital for Seamen (latterly known as Greenwich Hospital) as a home for retired seamen o...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them