Church first recorded in a document of 1196. Destroyed in the Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren (or his colleagues, at least) and, found to be unsafe, demolished in 1900.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
St Michaels Bassishaw
Commemorated ati
St Michaels Bassishaw
Site of St Michael Bassishaw, demolished 1900. The Corporation of the City of...
Other Subjects
John Wesley's house
Wesley built the chapel first, 1778, and then two houses, one either side, one for his own use and one for visiting preachers and their hangers-on. Both designed by George Dance the younger who als...
Scheut Fathers
Roman Catholic missionaries, correctly named the Congregatio Immaculati Cordis Mariae (the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary). Founded by the Belgian priest Theophiel Verbist, in Scheut,...
All Hallows Staining
"Staining" indicates stone-built, as opposed to all the other All Hallows churches in the City which were of wood. All that is left is the tower of the second church on the site, built about 1320. ...
First Synagogue in Hackney
British History Online gives the following information: 'Benjamin Mendes da Costa and Jacob de Moses Franco were among the first members of the Jewish Board of Deputies in 1760, when every member o...
St John the Evangelist church, Wilton Road
The picture source provides the following information: Built in 1874 as a chapel of ease to St Peter, Eaton Square. The church was destroyed in WW2 and the remains pulled down a few years later. Th...
Previously viewed
Petticoat Lane Market
By 1608 this street was known as Peticote Lane for the second-hand clothes, etc. which were bought and sold here, right on the boundary with the City. In about 1830 the street name was changed to M...
John Alfred Prestwich
Inventor and designer of engines. Born Kensington. He worked with Sebastian de Ferranti and the cinema pioneer William Friese-Greene to produce cameras, mutoscopes, cutting and perforation machine...
Richmond Cricket Club
Their website. Old Deer Park has been the club's headquarters since 1864.
Blue Plaque Rebellion
Writing her book 'Eat Sweat Play: How Sport Can Change Our Lives' Anna Kessel, was shocked at the lack of recognition for sportswomen from the past. Hence the Blue Plaque Rebellion, set up with the...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them