Building   

Suffolk House / Suffolk Place - SE1

Categories: Property

From British History On-line 1: The Brandon family had a residence on this site from at least about 1450.

From British History On-line 2: "It was ornamented with turrets and cupolas, and enriched with carved work; at the back, the range of outbuildings formed an enclosed court." In 1536 King Henry VIII and Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk exchanged properties: Suffolk House for Norwich House, the house of the Bishop of Norwich in the Strand at St. Martin's-in-the-Fields. ".. for the next 20 years the house was used occasionally as a royal residence or for the reception of distinguished visitors."  1545 - 1551 a mint was operated in part of the property.

Queen Mary gave the mansion to Nicholas Heath, Archbishop of York. He sold it almost at once and its gradual splitting up and demolition began. Edward Bromfield, Lord Mayor in 1637, owned and lived here in 1650. His son John was living here in 1679 and the property passed to his wife's family, the Lants. In 1773 it consisted of seventeen acres, on which were 400 houses. The entire estate was sold off in 98 lots, early in the 1800s. The image shows the building in 1825 which rather contradicts a statement in British History On-line that the mansion was was "completely demolished by June, 1562". 

Not to be confused with Northumberland House - Charing Cross.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Suffolk House / Suffolk Place - SE1

Commemorated ati

Suffolk House

The plaque refers to "Thomas Branden, Duke of Suffolk". We have two problems ...

Read More

Other Subjects

William Leverton

William Leverton

Architect, builder and surveyor. Churchwarden at St Giles Church in 1800.

Person, Architecture, Politics & Administration, Property

1 memorial
St Pancras Housing Association

St Pancras Housing Association

One of the earlier housing associations. In 1924 Father Basil Jellicoe founded the St Pancras House Improvement Society Ltd which was later named the St Pancras Housing Association. In 2000 it merg...

Group, Property, Social Welfare

2 memorials
Fleming Court flats opened

Fleming Court flats opened

Built by the Metropolitan Borough of Paddington Architects’ Department, or the LCC depending on source.

Event, Property

1 memorial
Hayes Place

Hayes Place

From the picture source: "Site of a house since the 15th century, in 1754 William Pitt the elder, later Earl of Chatham, bought the property, subsequently rebuilding it. The birthplace of his son,...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Duke of Westminster, 2nd, Hugh Grosvenor

Duke of Westminster, 2nd, Hugh Grosvenor

Extremely wealthy man, grandson of the first duke.  Nick-named Bendor, a "jovial" reference to a lost symbol on their coat of arms (go read Wikipedia if this sort if thing interests you).   Had a 1...

Person, Politics & Administration, Property

1 memorial