Group    From 1965 

Westminster City Council

The ancient parish of St Margaret's was divided into St Margaret's and St John's in 1727 but it was still run as a single vestry. In 1855 the two parishes were reformed into the Westminster District but St Margaret and St John continued to have a nominal existence until 1922.

Westminster City Council was created in 1965 from the former area of the Metropolitan Boroughs of St Marylebone, Paddington and the smaller Metropolitan Borough of Westminster (1900-65).

The City of Westminster crest has the motto 'Custodi Civitatem Domine', 'O lord watch over our city'.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Westminster City Council

Commemorated ati

Amsterdam 700th Anniversary

These gardens were renamed Rembrandt Gardens on 2 May 1975 to commemorate the...

Read More

Approved extension

A misunderstanding? A joke? Do the owners now claim they have an English Heri...

Read More

Coroner's Court, Westminster - foundation

Thrust into a corner of the facade and hidden by a bay tree this plaque has t...

Read More

Coroner's Court, Westminster - keystone

This delicate monogram can be decoded to represent: St Margaret and St John, ...

Read More

Trees for Westminster

To celebrate Westminster City Council's Quatercentenary HRH the Duke of Kent,...

Read More

Show all 6

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Westminster City Council

Creations i

50 years of peace

The two seated allies are unidentified at the site but with the assistance of...

Read More

Adams-Acton

John Adams-Acton, sculptor, 1831 - 1910, lived here 1882 - 1906. Westminster ...

Read More

Alexis Soyer

Alexis Soyer, 1810 - 1858, chef, author of cookbooks, inventor, lived here. C...

Read More

Alhambra Theatre

Theatreland - heart of the performing arts in London. Alhambra Theatre On t...

Read More

Ambrose Godfrey

Ambrose Godfrey, 1660 - 1741, chemist and inventor of the fire extinguisher, ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Rodney Cyril Alban Fitzgerald, MA, Deputy

Rodney Cyril Alban Fitzgerald, MA, Deputy

Commoner on the City Lands & Bridge House Estates Committee, 1994.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Edward Couchman Beedell

Edward Couchman Beedell

Commoner on the Bridge House Estates Committee, 1894.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Robert Mandry

Robert Mandry

Mandry is on the left of the picture.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Alf Partridge

Alf Partridge

Poplar councillor imprisoned during the 1921 rates protest.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Michael Fallon

Michael Fallon

 MP, Secretary of State for Defence in 2014.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor

Composer. Born 15 Theobalds Road, of a mixed race couple, his father being a Sierra Leonean Creole, and brought up in Croydon. His surname was Taylor and he was given the names Samuel Coleridge in ...

Person, Music / songs, Race Issues

3 memorials
Friends of Burgess Park

Friends of Burgess Park

The Friends of Burgess Park are an association of people and other interested groups who are concerned to protect, promote and enhance an important, inner-city London park.

Group, Community / Clubs, Gardens / Agriculture

4 memorials
First Pret a Manger shop

First Pret a Manger shop

The brand Pret a Manger actually started in Hampstead but that folded after 18 months and the brand was sold to Julian Metcalfe and Sinclair Beecham who restarted it in Victoria near, but not actua...

Concept, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Francis Cranmer Penrose

Francis Cranmer Penrose

Architect, archaeologist, astronomer and rower.  Born Lincolnshire.  Surveyor to the Fabric of St Paul's Cathedral 1852 - 1899.  Died Wimbledon.

Person, Architecture, History, Science, Sport / Games

2 memorials
Walter Lawrence & Son Ltd

Walter Lawrence & Son Ltd

Building firm active in 1935.

Group, Property

2 memorials