Group    From 1965 

Westminster City Council

The ancient parish of St Margaret's was divided into St Margaret's and St John's in 1727 but it was still run as a single vestry. In 1855 the two parishes were reformed into the Westminster District but St Margaret and St John continued to have a nominal existence until 1922.

Westminster City Council was created in 1965 from the former area of the Metropolitan Boroughs of St Marylebone, Paddington and the smaller Metropolitan Borough of Westminster (1900-65).

The City of Westminster crest has the motto 'Custodi Civitatem Domine', 'O lord watch over our city'.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Westminster City Council

Commemorated ati

Amsterdam 700th Anniversary

These gardens were renamed Rembrandt Gardens on 2 May 1975 to commemorate the...

Read More

Approved extension

A misunderstanding? A joke? Do the owners now claim they have an English Heri...

Read More

Coroner's Court, Westminster - foundation

Thrust into a corner of the facade and hidden by a bay tree this plaque has t...

Read More

Coroner's Court, Westminster - keystone

This delicate monogram can be decoded to represent: St Margaret and St John, ...

Read More

Trees for Westminster

To celebrate Westminster City Council's Quatercentenary HRH the Duke of Kent,...

Read More

Show all 6

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Westminster City Council

Creations i

50 years of peace

The two seated allies are unidentified at the site but with the assistance of...

Read More

Adams-Acton

John Adams-Acton, sculptor, 1831 - 1910, lived here 1882 - 1906. Westminster ...

Read More

Alexis Soyer

Alexis Soyer, 1810 - 1858, chef, author of cookbooks, inventor, lived here. C...

Read More

Alhambra Theatre

Theatreland - heart of the performing arts in London. Alhambra Theatre On t...

Read More

Ambrose Godfrey

Ambrose Godfrey, 1660 - 1741, chemist and inventor of the fire extinguisher, ...

Read More

Other Subjects

James George White, Deputy

James George White, Deputy

Commoner on the Bridge House Estates Committee, 1894.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Navy Office, Seething Lane

Navy Office, Seething Lane

Built on the site of Walsingham's mansion, this was the Navy Office in which Samuel Pepys lived and worked.  Survived the Great Fire partly due to Pepys' efforts.  Destroyed by another fire in 1673...

Building, Armed Forces, Politics & Administration

2 memorials
Ealing Town Hall

Ealing Town Hall

Designed by Charles Jones, and built by Hugh Knight. It replaced a smaller town hall, that had also been designed by Jones. They are both in the same Gothic revival style; this one a whale compared...

Building, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Count Herman Wrangel

Count Herman Wrangel

Swedish Ambassador in London, 1906-20.

Person, Politics & Administration, Sweden

2 memorials
Free Russian Press

Free Russian Press

Established by Herzen in London 1853.  See our plaque page for its various addresses around Bloomsbury.  See the picture source for much more information.

Concept, Journalism / Publishing, Politics & Administration, Russia

1 memorial