Group    From 1965 

Westminster City Council

The ancient parish of St Margaret's was divided into St Margaret's and St John's in 1727 but it was still run as a single vestry. In 1855 the two parishes were reformed into the Westminster District but St Margaret and St John continued to have a nominal existence until 1922.

Westminster City Council was created in 1965 from the former area of the Metropolitan Boroughs of St Marylebone, Paddington and the smaller Metropolitan Borough of Westminster (1900-65).

The City of Westminster crest has the motto 'Custodi Civitatem Domine', 'O lord watch over our city'.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Westminster City Council

Commemorated ati

Amsterdam 700th Anniversary

These gardens were renamed Rembrandt Gardens on 2 May 1975 to commemorate the...

Read More

Approved extension

A misunderstanding? A joke? Do the owners now claim they have an English Heri...

Read More

Coroner's Court, Westminster - foundation

Thrust into a corner of the facade and hidden by a bay tree this plaque has t...

Read More

Coroner's Court, Westminster - keystone

This delicate monogram can be decoded to represent: St Margaret and St John, ...

Read More

Trees for Westminster

To celebrate Westminster City Council's Quatercentenary HRH the Duke of Kent,...

Read More

Show all 6

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Westminster City Council

Creations i

50 years of peace

The two seated allies are unidentified at the site but with the assistance of...

Read More

Adams-Acton

John Adams-Acton, sculptor, 1831 - 1910, lived here 1882 - 1906. Westminster ...

Read More

Alexis Soyer

Alexis Soyer, 1810 - 1858, chef, author of cookbooks, inventor, lived here. C...

Read More

Alhambra Theatre

Theatreland - heart of the performing arts in London. Alhambra Theatre On t...

Read More

Ambrose Godfrey

Ambrose Godfrey, 1660 - 1741, chemist and inventor of the fire extinguisher, ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Charles Dew Miller

Charles Dew Miller

Commoner on the Bridge House Estates Committee, 1894.  From the picture source: "Miller Brothers were established in the early 1870's, the early partners being noted as Charles Dew Miller, George W...

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
James Stillwell

James Stillwell

Trustee of the Norton Folgate almshouses in 1860.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
C. Pert

C. Pert

On the committee of the Stratford Co-operative and Industrial Society in 1919.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Hampstead Garden Suburb

Hampstead Garden Suburb

Henrietta Barnett formed a board of trustees to build this urban utopia following strict social principles: all classes accommodated, places of education provided, places for the handicapped and el...

Place, Architecture, Property

8 memorials
Henry Sylvester Williams

Henry Sylvester Williams

Anti-slavery and civil rights campaigner.  Born Trinidad.  After the USA he arrived in London in 1896 to study.  Qualified in law.  Elected in 1906 for Church Street Ward, the first black councillo...

Person, Politics & Administration, Race Issues, Caribbean Islands

1 memorial
Lewisham Borough Council

Lewisham Borough Council

The Borough of Lewisham was formed as an amalgamation of the Metropolitan Boroughs of Deptford and Lewisham.

Group, Politics & Administration

27 memorials
Eastern Counties Railway

Eastern Counties Railway

Railway line, originally intended to link London with Ipswich via Colchester and then onwards to Norwich and Yarmouth. Construction began in 1837 but was beset by engineering and other problems, an...

Group, Transport

1 memorial